4.01.2011

Empty my hands

"I've got voices in my head and they are so strong, and I'm getting sick of this, oh Lord, how long will I be haunted by the fear that I believe? My hands like locks on cages of these dreams I can't set free... But if I let these dreams die, if I lay down all my wounded pride, if I let these dreams die will I find that letting go lets me come alive? So empty my hands, fill up my heart, capture my mind with You. These voices speak instead and what's right is wrong and I'm giving into them. Please Lord, how long will I be held captive by the lies that I believe? My heart's in constant chaos and it keeps me so deceived. But if I let these dreams die -- if I could just lay down my dark desire... If I let these dreams die, will I find You brought me back to life?  So empty my hands, fill up my heart, capture my mind with You. Oh Lord, empty my hands, fill up my heart, capture my mind with You. 'Cause my mind is like a building burning down -- I need Your grace to keep me, keep me from the ground. And my heart is just a prisoner of war; a slave to what it wants and to what I'm fighting for. So won't you empty my hands, fill up my heart, capture my mind with You? Oh, empty my hands, fill up my heart, capture my mind with You, with You, with You. I need You, I need you my Lord. With You, with You, I need you now Lord."


This song has been on my heart lately because I think it accurately and beautifully describes the way I've been feeling. I'll just be honest with y'all -- I've been doing well for the most part, life is fantastic, but my heart isn't filled up with God's love at the moment. I don't have that desire to pray as much or read as much. And how could I call myself fine if my soul was lacking what it desperately needed? There are some times where it feels like you're in a desert, a parched and weary land in utter emptiness. But this is more the opposite. That place where you are overloaded with good things and forget the Giver. And this is why I love this song because I relate with almost every single line. I'm in the process of letting go of some "dreams" or desires you might say. And it's terribly hard because we're (maybe it's just me;) self-absorbed and want pleasure, but God calls us to a life of surrender. This song is my prayer tonight. That after all these years of fear and dreams that didn't satisfy and a divided heart, I would remember that God alone could satisfy my soul. This fleeting attention and these exciting life events might make me happy for a time but they can't save me or bring me true joy. This is my prayer, God -- that You are enough for this heart; capture my mind with You. 

1 comment:

  1. Amen! I want God to empty my hands with the unimportant things and fill my heart with Him in just the way that you described. Beautiful post!

    Love,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete